Wednesday, June 18, 2014

Walk of life


I stood there watching the waves strike the rocks. It was almost rhythmical. I had lost track of time and could see only the setting sun giving me company. I had a cursory glance and then perched myself on of the pedastal.


Twenty years ago I had come to the same place. Dad had me in his arms while my siblings ran along his sides. I did not know what happiness was or what it felt. The philosophical side in me had not sunk in. I took a pebble and started scribbling my name on as many rocks as possible. I had learnt to write. I was oblivious of anybody watching me , dad , brother ,sister or even the setting sun. I was so engrossed in carving my name on rocks that I lost track of time. The sun had set. As I lifted my head I could not find anyone just the vagueness of the shores staring back at me. I rubbed my eyes in disbelief. There was not a soul in near vicinity. Then I took the tried and tested formula. I cried. I cried in a recursive loop but to no avail. I had no one to blame except the moon. After finishing the stocks of my tears I sat down. There stood a stone with my name engraved on it. I took a walk along the stones that had my name like it was a milestone. After a hundred odd steps I stopped. There they were. Dad, brother and sister all still having a laugh and having fun. I went upto them and held them tightly till I was assured. I realized they were still there , it was me who went away from them.

A big wave of water splashed. It made me wet. I got up and shrugged the sand of my clothes. It was time for me to take the walk back.
 

7 comments:

Mayura said...

lovely post !! :) truth subtly put!! awesome one RJ !! keep them coming !! :)

valiantsam said...

Nice retrospection!

valiantsam said...

Nice retrospection!

RJ said...

Thanks Mayura for your the encouragement. :) It keeps me going :)

RJ said...

Thanks Sam for summing it up in a word ..couldn't have been more apt :)

Afshan Shaik said...

name on the stone and it seemed like mile stone - liked that part most
Thanks for visiting my blog Rakesh

Keep writing :)

RJ said...

Thanks Afshan for the kind words :-)